The style 902 Liszt organ suffered many indignities in the past, among them the knee swells were both broken. The R lever had a poor patchwork repair, and the Grand Jeu (full organ) L side lever was snapped off so just a sliver remained.
I found no walnut that I could use, nothing thick enough, so I grabbed the next best, a chunk of mahogany and started tracing out the pattern. I roughed them out with the bandsaw.
Then I used the router with a pattern-following bit to copy the exact shape of the surviving original knee swell to the copies. The next part took the longest; with file, cabinet scraper and sandpaper I cleaned up the cut edges.
I needed to make a couple more axles (they are desk pins/rear key pins) of the right length and gauge, fortunately an old key frame supplied the right diameter, I just had to trim them to length and re-chamfer the cut ends. (drill press and sharp file!) four hours later, all back together; they will get finish when the case gets refinished this spring/summer.
Casey Pratt, restorer of neglected harmoniums!
I run a one-man reed organ restoration workshop; here are my ongoing restoration exploits, as they happen.